If your condo is like any other, chances are that you hear a lot from 20% of the resident population, and nary a thing from the other 80%. The old 80/20 rule at work. Odds are that the 20% keep life very busy for board directors and property managers alike, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. While there are no doubt individuals who make unreasonable requests, question everything and anything that goes on in the condo, and in general seem happy to occupy their spare time reducing the spare time of others, most of the “involved” residents are of great benefit to the condomunity (yes, I made that up) at large. People asking questions, taking an active role in finding out what is going on in their building, even keeping an eye on the common elements, all these help keep a thriving condomunity, well, thriving.
But what about the silent 80%? Just because they go about their business in relative silence doesn’t mean that they are exempt from wanting to know what is going on. You may see them every day, or they may be virtually invisible, as is the case with many townhome dwellers.
True, some residents seem not to care what is going on at all… but don’t forget the old axiom “they don’t know that they don’t know”. Information is important to all of us, even if we think that we don’t care. We can all do to learn a little more each day – so how are you serving up your slice of condo info pie to your residents? It’s often difficult to be proactive and creative, especially when it can be a challenge just to get to the day-to-day stuff. But great communication is so much more than that, and it’s the slice-of-life things that really have an impact on your residents, and therefore the overall well-being of your condomunity.
Today we posted such an item. It made lots of our clients smile, so I thought I’d share.